Your child’s first dental visit
is a significant milestone; however, it may be more important than some parents realize. We understand that your child’s health is a top priority, but parents should avoid overlooking it.
When you visit your Calgary dentist for a routine checkup, your dentist will examine more than just your teeth. A dental checkup allows your dentist to examine your gums, the tissue surrounding your tongue and throat, your bite and jaw alignment, and possibly even oral cancer. Even if you’re all over your oral hygiene routine, problems can still arise. Your oral health is affected by more than how well you brush your teeth; it is intrinsically linked to your overall health, which means that your mouth could show signs of other conditions. By skipping regular dental appointments, you put your oral health at risk, as well as your chances of developing more serious health problems.
Most family dentists in Calgary recommend that parents take their children to the dentist when they are young, specifically six months old or as soon as their first tooth erupts. Here are some of the reasons why taking your child to the dentist should be one of your top priorities when it comes to their overall health.
- Children are getting ready for future visits – Dentists typically advise parents to take their children to the dentist as early as their first birthday. These early visits are particularly beneficial to your child’s development. Consider it an opportunity for your child to test the waters. Suppose children visit the dentist early and become accustomed to going to the dentist’s office. In that case, they are more likely to have a positive outlook on dental visits. It’s a great opportunity to get used to the dentist’s chair, equipment, and lighting, making future visits to the dentist much easier. Toys, games, and treats may be available at family dental clinics to entertain children, keep them calm, and make them feel more at ease.
- Getting personalized dental care – No two mouths are alike, and the oral health of one child differs from that of another. A family dentist can create a treatment plan for your child’s specific needs. If your child’s x-rays reveal irregularities, your dentist can make plans to correct the alignment before they come out straight (which may include removing late baby teeth and using orthodontic treatments). Family dentists are also familiar with the parent’s and family’s medical histories and risk factors such as a higher risk of cavities or gum disease.
- Children still have developing oral health – Edmonton children’s dentistry is well-equipped to meet children’s needs. Children’s teeth are still growing, so they may have some issues (such as over-retained baby teeth or cavities) that the dentist can examine at each visit.
- Developing healthy dental habits – One aspect of family dental care is assisting children in developing lifelong dental habits. Many children have harmful habits such as thumb-sucking and teeth grinding. Dentists can assist them in kicking old habits and cultivating new ones in their place. Dentists can also help your children develop good brushing and flossing habits by explaining them in fun and interesting ways. These visits can be beneficial to both parents and children. During your child’s first visit, the dentist can provide you with helpful information on common dental problems they may face, such as baby bottle tooth decay, so that you can stay on top of their oral health.
- Early detection of oral health problems – They are often easier to treat when detected early. A dentist may be able to tell if your child is at risk of developing crooked teeth and offer treatment options. A small cavity is also much easier to treat than a large one. Cavities spread quickly in baby teeth because they are so small.
- Regular dental cleanings – Dental cleaning is a dentist’s service for your child. Dental cleaning enables the dentist to clean hard-to-reach areas that you and your children may have difficulty reaching. Regular brushing and flossing are important for preventive dental care.
Make sure to include your child’s first dental visit in your celebration of all the firsts in their lives. Dental check-ups are essential for your children. Let your child visit a dentist in Calgary for a comprehensive dental check-up.
Here at London Square Dental, we care about your child’s dental needs, and we aim for them to receive healthier oral health. Call us at 403-291-4945 to book your child’s appointment today!